Arson and medical treatment involved as firefighters feel the heat more than most
The current heatwave has been warmly welcomed across the county but for Cornish fire crews the hot weekend proved a particularly busy one.
Arson was suspected in the latest incident, where two people were treated by paramedics.
Fire crews responded to a call that a blaze had taken hold within the bedroom of a terraced bungalow on St Georges Crescent, Bodmin, at about 1.40am this morning.
The two occupants of the property escaped the flames but suffered the effects of smoke inhalation and were left in the care of ambulance personnel.
Free DT333 System Phone with all New NCP Panasonic Business...View details
Make Sure Your Business In Cornwall Chooses The Correct Business Telephone System At The Most Competitive Price.
Approved Panasonic Telecommunications Installer.
Terms: Terms: Please Quote This Genuine Offer When Booking An Appointment With Your Telecommunication Engineer. We Also Offer A Demonstration Of The Proposed System Please Ask For This Free Service
Contact: 01726 213808
Valid until: Monday, March 31 2014
The fire crews, from Bodmin and Lostwithiel, dealt with the blaze using breathing gear, one hose and a thermal imaging camera.
A positive pressure ventilation fan was then used to clear the property of smoke.
A joint police and fire investigation was underway.
Yesterday, an accidental wheelie bin fire at 12.25pm on a Perranporth road leading down to the beach was tackled by the Perranporth fire crew.
Half an hour later, ten firefighters and two appliances from Bodmin were called to the scene of an fire within an art studio.
The fire had started in the single storey wooden studio on Ruthern Bridge, Withiel, as a result of a heat gun being used to strip paint from a window.
Upon arrival it was believed the flames were out, but, using a thermal imaging camera and small tools, firefighters identified and extinguished a further small fire within the building’s insulation.
At 3.20pm on the same afternoon an area in Wadebridge was cordoned off by firefighters from the town and Bodmin whilst a leaking 45 litre propane gas cylinder was made safe.
In Camelford, at 3.45pm, fire crews from Delabole attended a 50 metre section of hedge at Tresparrett Downs that was burning.
The flames had spread to a nearby log pile and the firefighters used one main jet and one hose reel to extinguish the blaze.
At 6.50pm on Camborne’s, Trevenson Street, Cornwall Fire and Rescue service received a call to a small electrical fire in a commercial property.
The crews confirmed the fire had been accidental and had been confined. Electrical engineers were requested to make the scene safe.
At 8.45pm reports came in of a gorse fire near Tuckingmill Valley, Pendarves Street, Camborne.
Five firefighters attended the scene and found that the flame were from an unattended bonfire.
The fire was extinguished using one hose reel.