Asbestos at work caused terminal cancer
A PAR man died as a result of his exposure to asbestos at work more than half a century ago, an inquest has heard.
David William Lee, of Panstrasse Place, Tywardreath, died on December 12 last year at Mount Edgcumbe Hospice.
An inquest into his death held at Truro Coroner's Court on Thursday last week heard that Mr Lee had "a strong working history" of having been exposed to asbestos in the workplace, particularly when he worked as an electrician between 1961 and 1965.
Mr Lee, who was aged 71 when he died, had been admitted to Derriford Hospital at Plymouth in 2001 suffering from respiratory problems, and a biopsy was done from which doctors diagnosed the disease mesothelioma.
FREE Home staging included with your 1% Commission!View details
1% Commission FREE Home staging advice http://www.kerbappealz.co.uk
Terms: Home staging advice given on instruction to sell your property
Contact: 01736 332076
Valid until: Saturday, December 14 2013
Mr Lee had stayed twice at Mount Edgcumbe Hospice and it was during his second period there that he died in his sleep, the inquest was told.
Cornwall Coroner Emma Carlyon said she accepted the pathologist's finding that the cause of death was mesothelioma as a result of asbestos exposure, and that Mr Lee had also been suffering from underlying heart disease at the time of his death. Dr Carlyon concluded that Mr Lee died from an industrial disease.