Asbestos exposure caused a deadly cancer
A 62-YEAR-OLD man died from a rare form of cancer caused by exposure to asbestos over 24 years.
Joseph Peter Boulderstone died on June 1 this year of mesothelioma at Mount Edgecumbe Hospice in Porthpean Road, St Austell.
The disease develops from transformed cells originating in the mesothelium, the protective lining that covers many of the internal organs of the body.
An inquest in Truro on Tuesday heard Mr Boulderstone was exposed to asbestos at various times between 1965 and 1989 "without adequate protective clothing".
Fantastic offer at Swanson Ford, Newton Abbot. 3 Years FREE Servicing and 5 Years Warranty available on your BRAND NEW FORD FIESTA with the AWARD WINNING ECOBOOST ENGINE!!!
Terms: Limited stock available. Only whilst stock lasts
Contact: 01626 240583
Valid until: Tuesday, December 24 2013
He had several jobs in this time, including as a maintenance and gas fitter. After his diagnosis he had undergone chemotherapy, but his condition deteriorated.
Coroner for Cornwall Emma Carlyon accepted the pathologist's report and concluded Mr Boulderstone's death was due to an industrial disease, mesothelioma.