Bad weather starts to take toll on Cornwall sport
The bad weather has already started to hit the weekend sporting programme for Cornish clubs.In rugby, the National 2 South games - the Cornish All Blacks' visit to Shelford (frozen pitch) and Redruth's home game against Barking (difficulty travelling) are both off - while the Cornish Pirates' trip to Wales to play Carmarthen Quins in the British and Irish Cup is subject to an 11am pitch inspection tomorrow.
The Redruth match v Barking will now be played on February 23.
The decision that Barking did not have to travel was made by the RFU after the National Clubs' Association said the Essex club had to make the trip as the Recreation Ground was playable.
And the RFU's decision angered the Reds who wanted the game to go ahead, not least to bring in some much needed match day income.
FREE Home staging included with your 1% Commission!View details
1% Commission FREE Home staging advice http://www.kerbappealz.co.uk
Terms: Home staging advice given on instruction to sell your property
Contact: 01736 332076
Valid until: Saturday, December 14 2013
In football, Truro City's Blue Square Bet South game in Surrey against Sutton Utd is very doubtful because of snow and a 6pm pitch inspection is planned.
Bodmin Town's FA Vase home tie against North East club Ashington was postponed yesterday because the visitors would have been unable to travel because of the snow. It will now be played next Saturday.
In the Carlsberg South West Peninsula League, secretary Phil Hiscox said: "Please note that following due consideration and checking with relevant weather forecasts etc I have decided that if host clubs in league games scheduled for tomorow are of the due opinion that there is no chance of play then I am happy to accept the postponement from now on without need for a referee's inspection.
"The pattern of weather is really very changeable, for example Ivybridge has snow, Torquay United are off in the football league for waterlogging, other areas can expect ice being an issue with temperatures on the moors set to be several degrees below throughout the weekend.
"Only the clubs really know their own pitches, if they think play is possible please leave it till tomorow, but if you know its quite impossible then make the decision now.
"We are obviously falling behind with fixtures, as are other leagues, and we are probably now at the stage where pretty well every postponement will equal an unwanted midweek game at the end of the season
"I know I can trust the clubs to do all that they can to get games on as and when the weather (ever) improves. I also trust that clubs will accept today's instruction regarding this weekend's games in the sensible and mature way it is intended.
"Finally to those in the Cornwall Senior Cup tomorow please inform me, but only after you have informed CCFA of any postponement. Any tie at a floodlit ground will next go to midweek and every midweek until staged."