Bed blocking forces Truro hospital to cancel operations
Operations are being cancelled at Cornwall’s biggest hospital because of bed blocking.
The hospital has had to cancel more than a dozen operations today because it has more than 50 patients they are unable to discharge.
The hospital trust’s chief executive said the blockage was caused by a “lack of community health and social care support”.
Cornwall Council, which is responsible for providing community health, has refused to comment on the crisis.
FREE Home staging included with your 1% Commission!View details
1% Commission FREE Home staging advice http://www.kerbappealz.co.uk
Terms: Home staging advice given on instruction to sell your property
Contact: 01736 332076
Valid until: Saturday, December 14 2013
The situation is thought to be particularly worrying as it is expected to worsen going into winter.
Lezli Boswell, chief executive of Royal Cornwall Hospital Trust, said: “RCHT currently has over 50 patients who are medically fit to leave the hospital but we are unable to discharge due to lack of community health and social care support. It is this ongoing and unacceptable situation that has led us again to regrettably cancel planned operations.“
RCHT said it had to cancel 14 operations today.
Mrs Boswell said: “I am deeply sorry to all those patients who had been expecting treatment today and we realise that cancelling surgery can be distressing for patients and frustrating for staff. We will continue to do all we can to ensure patients receive the best possible care and when cancellations are made that we offer an alternative date as quickly as possible.
"We consider the need to cancel any operation at short notice unacceptable and we are working with NHS Kernow, Peninsula Community Health and Cornwall Council to ensure we provide the services the people of Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly have a right to expect."