Bid to reopen bar closed by police is rejected
AN APPLICATION to reopen a Newquay bar that last year became the first in Cornwall to undergo an on-the-spot police closure has been refused.
A Cornwall Council licensing committee decided on Monday that applicant Laura Bater was too closely linked to the former management of The Shack.
She was an employee of the Bank Street nightspot at the time of the forced closure on November 27, 2011.
Inspector Dave Meredith used Section 161 of the Licensing Act for the first time in the county after visiting the premises to find it being run by two 18-year-olds.
Free DT333 System Phone with all New NCP Panasonic Business...View details
Make Sure Your Business In Cornwall Chooses The Correct Business Telephone System At The Most Competitive Price.
Approved Panasonic Telecommunications Installer.
Terms: Terms: Please Quote This Genuine Offer When Booking An Appointment With Your Telecommunication Engineer. We Also Offer A Demonstration Of The Proposed System Please Ask For This Free Service
Contact: 01726 213808
Valid until: Monday, March 31 2014
Their superiors, including Ms Bater, could not be contacted, CCTV cameras were not working and the doorman was not wearing a Security Industry Authority (SIA) badge.
He later fled the scene as it is believed he was not SIA registered.
Susanne Edwards, Devon and Cornwall Police's licensing officer, spoke of police concerns at a meeting of the Licensing Act sub-committee this week.
She said that, through Ms Bater, a clear link had been established between the previous operation of the bar and the new proposals.
"It was our belief that if the premises was allowed to reopen, it would further impact on crime and disorder in Newquay," said Ms Edwards.
The applicant has the right to appeal against the decision.