Bude chimney fire leads to latest call to sweep chimneys
FIREFIGHTERS from Bude found a chimney well alight when they responded to a 999 call in Bramble Hill yesterday afternoon.
One appliance from Bude attended the incident.
The fire was extinguished using chimney rods and a stirrup pump.
The crew then checked the area using the thermal image camera.
Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service have dealt with a number of chimney fires in recent weeks and have urged people using their fires and log burners for the first time this winter to get it swept first.
A spokesperson said: "The cost of a chimney sweep is very small - from approximately £30 - when compared to dealing with the damage and cost of repair from a fire.
The fire service have released these simple tips to greatly reduce your chances of having a fire in your chimney:
* Sweep the chimney before use
* Ensure a fireguard is in front of the fire at all times
* Sparkguards can prevent a serious property fire
* Extinguish the fire before going to bed or leaving the house
* Never use petrol or paraffin to light your fire
* Make sure you have a working smoke alarm and check it works regularly!
The National Association of Chimney Sweeps has a network of fully insured members throughout the country, who work to a Code of Practice.
For more details telephone 01785 811732 or email email@example.com
Or visit the the Guild of Master Chimney Sweeps website.