Cabinet to consider Long Rock crossing closure order
THE decision to close the pedestrian crossing in Long Rock will go before a meeting at County Hall next month.
Cornwall Council's Cabinet will decide whether the August 14 extinguishment order should go to the Secretary of State for approval.
The crossing was closed at the request of Cornwall's Deputy Coroner in December 2012 following the death of Jeanette Nicholls at the spot.
Ludgvan councillor Roy Mann requested the closure be brought to the Cabinet, and said: "This is the fairest way to make this decision.
Buy one get one free on main course and specials excludes fillet steaks and beef wellingtons
Must book to qualify and present voucher on arrival 01209860332
Contact: 01209 700617
Valid until: Wednesday, December 11 2013
"I've always supported the reopening of the crossing. Indeed, myself and my family have used it.
"Accident stats say it has a 1 in 11 million chance of an accident. I'd say there's a greater chance of an accident on the roads in Long Rock.
"Ninety-eight per cent of residents support the reopening of the crossing. Local support should be respected if localism means anything."
The decision to close the crossing permanently was delegated to Peter Marsh, the council's director of environment, after he inspected the site earlier in the year.
Following more than 100 objections to the closure order, if the council wishes the order to be made permanent it is legally obliged to send it to central Government for confirmation.
However, Cornwall Council has the power to overrule the extinguishment order before the Cabinet meeting.
Those who formally objected to the order have been told by letter that the meeting will take place on November 27.
Rob Nance, chairman of the Friends of Long Rock Mexico Crossing (FLRMC), said the impending Cabinet discussion was welcome news.
"This is what we wanted," he said. "We hope they look at the order again and see that the statistics have been wrongly interpreted by Network Rail. We're 99 per cent sure that if the decision went to the Secretary of State, we'd win.
"It would be a complete waste of time to do it. We welcome members of the Cabinet to come and see the site. I think they will revoke it."
FLRMC plans to attend the council meeting en masse, with the hope of being able to put questions directly to the members of the Cabinet during the 15 minutes allowed for this. Questions must be submitted in advance by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and must be received a full two days before the meeting.
Those unable to attend can watch the meeting via a live webcast on the council website at www.cornwall.gov.uk