Cornwall Council manager Richard Mason is jailed for sex attacks
A former manager at Cornwall Council who used razor blades to cut two women before subjecting them to bizarre sex attacks, has been given an indeterminate sentence.
Richard Mason, 47, was described at Truro Crown Court yesterday by the judge as a "dangerous man".
Father-of-three Mason was jailed after admitting a string of sexual and physical attacks on the two women on separate occasions between September last year and May.
He was convicted of a total of eight offences against both of his victims involving sexual assault, wounding and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.
Free Premium listing on Rightmove and Zoopla with usView details
1% Commission FREE Home staging advice worth £300 FREE Premium listing on Rightmove and Zoopla worth £175 Visit our site http://www.kerbappealz.co.uk or call 01736 332076
Terms: Home staging advice plus premium listing on Rightmove and Zoopla when instructed to sell your property with us
Contact: 01736 332076
Valid until: Monday, March 17 2014
His victims, whose identities are protected by law, sat in a packed public gallery.
Describing the razor incident on one victim, Jason Beal, prosecuting, said: "He tied her with rope and used a razor blade to make small cuts to her arms and stomach. He drank the blood from her body."
Rupert Taylor, defending, said Mason accepted what he had done. He said the defendant was of previous good character but had been drinking alcohol heavily at the time of the incidents.
Judge Graham Cottle said Mason must serve a minimum term of two-and-a-half years.
He told Mason of Daniel Gardens, Truro: "These were violent and sexually depraved acts perpetrated by you. It's quite clear you achieved sexual arousal from what can only be described as violent and nauseating acts.
"There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind you are a dangerous man."
After the court case Cornwall Council issued a statement "welcoming" the outcome of the hearing.
It read: "The council suspended Mason on May 21 as soon as the allegations were made known.
"Council officers co-operated fully with the extensive police investigation and would like to pay tribute to the diligence and professionalism of the police officers who carried out this investigation and brought Mason to justice.
"Disciplinary action was initially put on hold pending the conclusion of the police investigation and then the court proceedings.
"Following Mason's decision to plead guilty to charges of wounding, sexual assault and assault, the council immediately began proceedings to terminate his employment. This process has now been completed and he no longer works for the authority.
"An internal review was carried out by senior council officers immediately after details of the charges were reported to identify any issues relating to Mason's work.
"His role within the commissioning team for Adult Care and Support means that he did not work directly with vulnerable adults. Support has been provided to the staff directly affected by this incident and to colleagues. This has been a shocking case which has caused great trauma and distress."