Cornwall Council manager Richard Mason sentenced for sex attacks at Truro Crown Court
A Cornwall Council manager who carried out a series of depraved sex attacks has been given an indeterminate sentence at Truro Crown Court.
Richard Mason will serve a minimum of 909 days for the "truly shocking" attacks on two women.
Mason, 47, of Daniel Gardens in Truro, had previously pleaded guilty at Truro Crown Court to five charges of depraved attacks against two women. He had also admitted three counts of unlawful wounding.
Mason worked as a commissioning officer in the adult social care department of Cornwall Council.
Free DT333 System Phone with all New NCP Panasonic Business...View details
Make Sure Your Business In Cornwall Chooses The Correct Business Telephone System At The Most Competitive Price.
Approved Panasonic Telecommunications Installer.
Terms: Terms: Please Quote This Genuine Offer When Booking An Appointment With Your Telecommunication Engineer. We Also Offer A Demonstration Of The Proposed System Please Ask For This Free Service
Contact: 01726 213808
Valid until: Monday, March 31 2014
The vicious assaults took place between March 2008 and May of this year. The details of the attacks are too horrific to reproduce here.
Following the hearing, Detective Sergeant Ian Pengelly said: "We welcome the outcome of today's hearing which follows an extensive Police investigation.
"Richard Mason was an extremely controlling man who carried out a series of truly shocking crimes which will undoubtedly have a lasting effect on his two victims.
"Investigations such as these are always very sensitive and we would like to pay tribute to the victims in this case for their fortitude in coming forward to the Police.
"Hopefully today's sentence will help them move forward as they try to rebuild their lives.
"We would like to reassure the local community that, following an extensive Police investigation, we have not identified any further victims.
"Finally, we would like to thank officers at Cornwall Council who have assisted us throughout the investigation and have helped bring Mason to justice."
A spokesman for Cornwall Council said the authority became aware of the allegations on May 21 and Mason was suspended. The council refused to say whether Mason remained on full pay throughout court proceedings or when exactly he was dismissed from his post.
The spokesman said: "Disciplinary action was initially put on hold pending the conclusion of the police investigation and then the court proceedings.
"Following Mason's decision to plead guilty to charges of wounding, sexual assault and assault, the council immediately began proceedings to terminate his employment. This process has now been completed and he no longer works for the authority.
"An internal review was carried out by senior council officers immediately after details of the charges were reported to identify any issues relating to Mason's work.
"His role within the commissioning team for Adult Care and Support means that he did not work directly with vulnerable adults.
"As part of the review process support has been provided both to the staff directly affected by this incident and to colleagues who have worked with Mason."