Cornwall Council propose closure of children’s respite homes in Truro and Redruth
Furious parents have expressed their anger at Cornwall Council’s proposals to close two children’s respite homes.
A meeting has been held today at Penventon Park, Hotel in Redruth, outlining a proposal to shut St Christopher’s Respite Home in Redruth and Lowenna Redwing in Truro.
If the proposal goes ahead it could mean both homes are closed by June 2014.
Another proposal discussed the option of making direct payments to parents to fund private care workers.
Buy one get one free on main course and specials excludes fillet steaks and beef wellingtons
Must book to qualify and present voucher on arrival 01209860332
Contact: 01209 700617
Valid until: Wednesday, December 11 2013
Maxine Stephens from Newquay, whose 14 year old daughter uses the services at St Christopher’s said, "It’s ridiculous, what will my children do? My daughter has learning disabilities and needs routine to keep her calm. We have to fight this, the council say it’s just a proposal but there cannot be any other options."
"They said children will be re-assessed but then they could be forced to move to another respite home as far away as Wadebridge."
Cornwall Council had previously denied that closing the respite homes was an option.
It is understood re-assessment of children who use the respite homes could begin in February.
Furthermore, in January proposals will be presented to the Cabinet.