Mum Rosa Blackler hits out after cupboard falls on family in council house
A MILLBROOK mother said she is scared for her children's safety after a cupboard fell on their heads in their council-owned home.
Rosa Blackler, a mother of three, has lived in the social housing property – managed by Cornwall Council – with her husband, Dale Blackler and their children since June last year.
The cupboard on the kitchen wall fell onto her three-year-old son, ten-year-old daughter and husband on December 30, leaving them requiring medical treatment.
Mrs Blackler said: "My children could have been killed and if the one cupboard was put up incompetently then I dare say the other one is [too]. I am so scared that something else may happen now.
Free DT333 System Phone with all New NCP Panasonic Business...View details
Make Sure Your Business In Cornwall Chooses The Correct Business Telephone System At The Most Competitive Price.
Approved Panasonic Telecommunications Installer.
Terms: Terms: Please Quote This Genuine Offer When Booking An Appointment With Your Telecommunication Engineer. We Also Offer A Demonstration Of The Proposed System. Please Ask For This Free Service
Contact: 01726 213808
Valid until: Monday, March 31 2014
"My daughter is too scared to go into the kitchen and my son has had nightmares and called out in his sleep about the cupboard falling. I am seeking legal advice because as far as I can see the council has not only been negligent with our family's safety, it is continuing to be.
"I am absolutely disgusted at Cornwall Council and how we are being treated."
After the cupboard fell down in the Insworke Place property, Mrs Blackler's daughter was rushed to the doctors with a lump on the back of her head and bruising on her leg.
Her three-year-old son cut his finger and shoulder during the incident and her husband has been told to get his hand X-rayed.
The kitchen cupboard was held up by four 2cm screws in the top two corners onto plasterboard.
Plug sockets were also placed above the cooker, which meant that any steam generated from cooking went into the sockets, making them drip with water.
After the cupboard fell down, the council sent an electrician to the property who attended that evening to ensure the electrical socket was safe.
Mrs Blackler said she had told the council about the faults in the house shortly after moving into the property but had been told that it could not sort the problem out for another ten years, when they would be due for an upgrade.
According to Mrs Blackler, the previous tenant had also complained to the council.
Cornwall Housing's area technical officer visited the property on January 6 and agreed that the council would replace the kitchen and repair the faults but Mrs Blackler has not been told when this work will be carried out.
A council spokesman said: "Since the incident the tenant has told us about other issues with the property, some of which have now been addressed, with others due to be inspected over the coming days and dealt with as routine repairs.
"There are no records of complaints about these issues from the previous tenants.
"Cornwall Housing is committed to dealing with reported issues as promptly as possible once they have been reported in line with their repairs policy which has been agreed by tenants."