Newquay developer hits back at 'misleading' campaign against Riviera Hotel plans
A NEWQUAY developer has hit back at a campaign against plans for an apartment complex in Newquay, claiming it is misleading and inaccurate.
David Stein, operations director at Acorn Blue, which is behind the application for a 36-apartment complex on the site of the derelict Riviera Hotel on Lusty Glaze Road, said the campaign is "wrong on a number of issues".
The protest page, no2tower, has been set up on social networking website Facebook and claims the new building would reach 200ft tall.
However, Mr Stein said the new building would actually be 67ft tall and that the site already has full planning permission for a "significantly larger" building.
Free DT333 System Phone with all New NCP Panasonic Business...View details
Make Sure Your Business In Cornwall Chooses The Correct Business Telephone System At The Most Competitive Price.
Approved Panasonic Telecommunications Installer.
Terms: Terms: Please Quote This Genuine Offer When Booking An Appointment With Your Telecommunication Engineer. We Also Offer A Demonstration Of The Proposed System Please Ask For This Free Service
Contact: 01726 213808
Valid until: Monday, March 31 2014
He said: "While recognising any new planning application can raise emotions, it is nonetheless important that people are not misled. Perhaps as importantly, it needs to be recognised that there is an existing approved planning consent. This consented scheme is not only for a significantly larger building, but has a tower some 10ft taller than that now proposed.
"The new application both shrinks the overall mass of the building and moves the building further from the adjacent X-Capes development. Furthermore, it moves the new (smaller) tower more centrally to the building, thereby significantly reducing its impact.
"The first image posted on the objectors' Facebook page quite clearly had another storey added that simply does not exist."
Mr Stein said Acorn had been embedded in Cornwall for some seven years with a Newquay team comprising 15 people and that the company had invested more than £70 million in the local economy.
The Cornish Guardian reported in November that neighbours had been cautiously optimistic at news the "eyesore" hotel, which has been ravaged by two major fires in the past two years, was to be demolished and redeveloped.
A total of 28 objections against the fresh plans have been lodged on Cornwall Council's website, with just one supporting it.
Complaints focus on the detrimental impact the proposed building, up to seven storeys at its tallest, would have on the surrounding area, casting a "shadow" over the protected Barrowfields green space and neighbouring homes.
In his official objection, Phillip Yelling wrote: "The shadows cast by such an overbearing building will have an impact on the area and across the historic Barrowfields forever and is one of the main gateways into Newquay."
While Stephen Hick said in support: "The height of the structure will not overly impact on the Newquay skyline which is undulating and hilly, and more permanent residential units will benefit the local economy."
Key authorities, including the council's highways department and Newquay Town Council have yet to make any comment, although public body Natural England has stated the plans would be "unlikely to affect any statutorily protected sites or landscapes".
A public consultation into the plans is being held on January 13, at Sandy Lodge Hotel, between 4.30pm and 6.30pm. People have until January 10 to comment on the plans, which can be viewed on the council's website.