Developers behind rejected Coyte Farm to submit amended application
The developers behind rejected plans to build a retail park and Sainsbury’s supermarket at Coyte Farm in St Austell will submit an amended planning application.
Plans to build the controversial shopping centre on the outskirts of the town were narrowly thrown out by one vote after dividing Cornwall Council’s strategic planning committee last month.
The developers behind the £110 million scheme, London Metric Property and Mercian Developments, today announced they have instructed a legal team to prepare an appeal and will resubmit an amended planning application to Cornwall Council this summer.
In a statement they said: “Legal Advice has been sought and the developers are reserving their right to appeal the refusal and have instructed Counsel to begin preparation of the appeal case.”
Free DT333 System Phone with all New NCP Panasonic Business...View details
Make Sure Your Business In Cornwall Chooses The Correct Business Telephone System At The Most Competitive Price.
Approved Panasonic Telecommunications Installer.
Terms: Terms: Please Quote This Genuine Offer When Booking An Appointment With Your Telecommunication Engineer. We Also Offer A Demonstration Of The Proposed System Please Ask For This Free Service
Contact: 01726 213808
Valid until: Monday, March 31 2014
It continued: “Notwithstanding the above, and to underline the applicants’ long stated commitment to working with the local community and Cornwall Council, they have decided not to appeal immediately and to submit a fresh planning application to Cornwall Council.
“This proposal will seek to address the reasons for refusal. Submission of this application is expected by the early summer.”
Simon Hoare, spokesman for Coyte Farm, said the developers have been overwhelmed by public support following the committee’s decision.
“While we were disappointed with the SPC [Strategic planning committee] decision we have been bowled over by both the level of public support for our proposal and by the very real sense of anger which has been expressed locally in the media and on social media towards the Committee’s decision and the despair that the future of St Austell is strangled by the interests of Truro,” he said.
“This support, the recommendation of officers to approve and the closeness of the committee vote have encouraged us to have another go and work up a second application.
“Local St Austell people have asked us not to walk away but to stand and fight for what they want. That is what we are going to do.”