English bull terrier nearly dies from parasitic lungworm
A much-loved dog nearly died from a disease that is on the rise in Cornwall.
Eve Pilcher from Truro wants more dog owners to be aware of the potentially fatal lungworm parasite.
Her English bull terrier Wilma nearly died from the disease but quick action from the vet saved her life.
Mrs Pilcher said: “She kept on coughing but we assumed it was part of a chair she had been chewing in her throat.”
Free DT333 System Phone with all New NCP Panasonic Business...View details
Make Sure Your Business In Cornwall Chooses The Correct Business Telephone System At The Most Competitive Price.
Approved Panasonic Telecommunications Installer.
Terms: Terms: Please Quote This Genuine Offer When Booking An Appointment With Your Telecommunication Engineer. We Also Offer A Demonstration Of The Proposed System Please Ask For This Free Service
Contact: 01726 213808
Valid until: Monday, March 31 2014
Tests were carried out after the symptoms continued and the vet diagnosed parasitic lungworm.
Mrs Pilcher said Wilma had made a full physical recovery but the illness had knocked her confidence.
“Before, she was always keen to go out for a walk and to meet other dogs,” said Mrs Pilcher. “For quite a while afterwards she didn’t want to go for a walk.”
Lungworm is a parasite that dogs become infected with after eating or accidentally swallowing common garden slugs and snails.
Mrs Pilcher said: “It could have killed her, I’m lucky that my dog survived.
“I just want people to be aware that it’s easily cured and as long as it’s caught in time it’s treatable.”
A new campaign Act on Lungworm has been set up to remind dog owners about the parasite and more information is available online at www.facebook.com/jungleforpets