Dog-owners alerted over beach danger
DOG-OWNERS have been warned to stay alert after a ball of palm oil was washed ashore on Fistral beach on Saturday.
The waxy, white substance was previously linked to the death of Zanzi, a miniature schnauzer which died within days of eating it on a beach in Marazion.
Newquay police inspector Dave Meredith has urged people to be careful. He has advised dog-owners to keep away from the substance and asked the council's contractors to dispose of it.
The Environment Agency has been made aware of the non-toxic, degraded edible oil, thought to have been brought in by the recent storms. There have been other reports of the material washing up along the north coast and at Porthleven over the past week.
Free DT333 System Phone with all New NCP Panasonic Business...View details
Make Sure Your Business In Cornwall Chooses The Correct Business Telephone System At The Most Competitive Price.
Approved Panasonic Telecommunications Installer.
Terms: Terms: Please Quote This Genuine Offer When Booking An Appointment With Your Telecommunication Engineer. We Also Offer A Demonstration Of The Proposed System Please Ask For This Free Service
Contact: 01726 213808
Valid until: Monday, March 31 2014
Vets say that although the substance is non-toxic to humans and birds, it can cause dogs to become very unwell if ingested.
Penmellyn Veterinary Group said it had treated a number of dogs believed to have eaten the material.
The firm posted a warning on its Facebook page, which read: "Ingestion of this substance has been fatal in one dog that unfortunately died following surgery to remove the substance from his intestines. In other dogs it has caused vomiting, diarrhoea and pancreatitis. Please keep your lovely dog safe and on a lead when walking on affected beaches."
Concerned owners were urged to contact their vets.