Paul Massen, repeat drink-driver, is branded a menace by court
A REPEAT drink-driver was described as a menace by magistrates on Monday after they heard he was before the court for his third offence.
Solicitor Chris Andrews told Bodmin court that IT consultant Paul Massen, 49 and from Bude, "took a risk" in deciding to drive home from the pub.
Chairman of the bench Peter Hosegood told Massen: "To be convicted of driving with excess alcohol once is bad enough. Twice is intolerable. Three times makes you a menace. Mr Andrews says you took a risk. You probably didn't consider the risk to other road users."
Massen, of Silverton Road, was banned from driving for four years and ordered to pay £1,905 in fines, costs and surcharge after admitting driving on the A39 at Cribb with 95 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath, the limit being 35mcg.
Gail Hawkley, for the prosecution, said a member of the public called police at 3pm on December 7 due to concerns about the erratic driving of a Peugeot 407 which was heading towards Bideford.
When police spoke to its driver, Massen, they found he was "extremely drunk and could hardly stand". He refused to give a breath sample at the roadside, but later complied at the police station.
Mr Andrews said Massen hadn't intended to drink as much or to drive, but took a risk and made a foolish decision. Massen worked away from Monday to Friday and his family relied on his income. He did not think he had drink-dependency issues.
The magistrates told Massen he would not be offered a drink-drive rehabilitation course as he had previously completed one and had not taken up the option when offered it again.
He was warned he would now be classed as a high-risk offender and the DVLA would require medical evidence of his fitness to drive before reissuing his licence.