Ex Newquay councillor Gary Redman not guilty on all charges
FORMER Newquay town councillor Gary Redman has walked free from court after the case against him was thrown out.
The 56-year-old went on trial on Monday accused of 15 counts of indecent assaults on two boys between 1995 and 2004 but on Thursday he was found not guilty on all counts after a direction by the judge.
Mark Taylor, defending, made an application after the close of the prosecution’s evidence that there was no case to answer.
He said the boys’ accounts of the alleged abuse were inconsistent and unreliable.
Buy one get one free on main course and specials excludes fillet steak
Must book to qualify on 01209 860332 and present voucher on arrival
Contact: 01209 700617
Valid until: Sunday, December 08 2013
Judge John Neligan agreed. He said to the jury: “Looking at all the circumstances, it is my decision and the responsibility is mine, that you could not properly convict Mr Redman on any of the counts in the indictment.”
Judge Neligan said both witnesses had changed their accounts on numerous occasions in interviews to the police and while giving evidence in court.
Of the first witness who claimed to have been sexually abused by Redman, of Cranstar Apartments, Hilgrove Road, from the age of 7 to 17, he said: “His evidence was riddled with inconsistencies.
“That is not to say he came here to tell a pack of lies. The fact is that what he has said was utterly inconsistent … that is utterly unreliable.”
In respect of the second alleged victim Judge Neligan said that man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, had contradicted himself and the other alleged victim during his evidence.
“[He] has changed his account in material ways, in particular that he had forgotten about these incidents,” he said.
The court had previously heard Mr Barlow, questioning the witness on discrepancies in the dates the first alleged victim told police.
The witness told police and the jury that he had been aged 7 when the abuse started at Redman's workshop.
He said the incident occurred when the defendant owned a red van.
Mr Barlow put it to the witness that this was not possible because Redman did not own or have access to a red van until 1998 – when the witness would have been 10.
And Mr Barlow said Redman had not gained access to his business premises, described by the alleged victim in his interview, until April 2000 – when he would have been 12.
Mr Barlow said: "He could never have abused you in the way that you are describing in your ABE interview, from the age of 7, could he?"
The witness responded: "I guess not.”
In directing Redman to be found not guilty Judge Neligan commented on this: “If he was so drastically wrong about that, that permeates through the rest of his account.”