Ex Newquay town councillor Gary Redman accused of sex assaults
FORMER Newquay town councillor Gary Redman regularly paid two young boys sums of £5 and £10 so that he could sexually abuse them, a court has heard.
The 56-year-old, who went on trial at Truro Crown Court on Monday, faces 15 allegations of indecently assaulting the boys between 1995 and 2004.
Phillip Lee, for the prosecution, said the abuse started when the first boy was 7 and Redman took him to his workshop, where he ran a garden machinery business, where he rubbed the boy's body, performed a sex act on the boy and gave him £5.
Mr Lee said: "This activity continued on a regular basis. Although at the time what was happening did not feel right, [the boy] enjoyed having the money and as an impressionable young boy he liked the defendant."
Mr Lee said Redman told the boy words to the effect: "If you don't tell anyone, there is more money where that came from."
In a video interview given to police on May 4, 2012, the boy, who is an adult now and cannot be named for legal reasons, said Redman performed a sex act on him on numerous occasions at his workshop. Mr Lee said on other occasions the boy went to Redman's house where he was shown pornography by the defendant.
Redman, of Cranstar Apartments, Hilgrove Road, denies the charges.
Mr Lee said the second alleged victim came into contact with Redman in 1999 when he was aged 12 and that they met at Redman's workshop where Redman performed a sex act on the boy and gave him £10.
He said: "He carried on going there and the defendant continued to indecently assault him in some way and he was always given £10."
Mr Lee said that because the boys were under 16 at the time the offences were alleged to have taken place they could not have consented to what happened.
He said: "The fact that these boys did not resist the defendant and that they allowed the acts to continue is not a defence for child abuse."
Redman was arrested and interviewed by police in May and July last year.
He told police that he did have the garden machinery business from 1995 to 2005 but denied any indecent assault on either boy.
Mr Lee said: "He stated that the allegations were absolute nonsense and he had no idea why the allegations were being made against him."
Redman is accused of ten counts of indecently assaulting one boy.
He faces a further two charges of indecency with a child in relation to that boy and three of indecent assault on the other boy.
The trial continues.