Helston heroine Ingrid turned away from Pride of Britain awards
HELSTON heroine Ingrid Loyau-Kennett said she was stunned and humiliated to be turned away from the glitzy Pride of Britain Awards ceremony in London this week.
Rather than being praised and honoured by the likes of David Beckham, singer Nicole Scherzinger and Carol Vorderman, she was instead told not to attend – on the very day of the prestigious event itself.
Back home in Helston yesterday, she told the West Briton: "They said they didn't want me in the room because there would be cameras.
"It's ridiculous. I found it quite humiliating to be honest."
Buy one get one free on main course and specials excludes fillet steaks and beef Wellington
Must book to qualify 01209 860332 and present voucher on arrival
Mon- Thur 6-9pm
Contact: 01209 700617
Valid until: Saturday, December 21 2013
Ms Loyau-Kennett and two other women had been due to receive bravery awards for their courageous actions in relation to the death of Drummer Lee Rigby, outside Woolwich Barracks on May 22.
But on Monday, lawyers for the awards ceremony, which was screened on ITV on Tuesday, stepped in at the 11th hour and pulled the section about the so-called "Angels of Woolwich" from the event.
Two men are due to face trial for the alleged murder of Drummer Rigby in November.
Attorney General Dominic Grieve has recently reminded all media not to print or broadcast anything that could influence a jury in the trial.
But it was a bitter blow for Ms Loyau-Kennett, who had travelled up to London specially for the ceremony.
Her two grown-up children had taken time off work and were looking forward to accompanying her and meeting many stars and celebrities at the grand party.
"It's my story and I had a right to be there," she said.
"They had prepared a film to introduce the award but I was called by an executive who said they could not show the film.
"Instead I was just to go up on stage. I said that was all right but even that did not happen."
She was invited to a pre-party on Sunday evening, to see the set and go through how the ceremony would work, but received the crushing news on Monday, immediately before filming was to begin that evening.
"It was literally on the day they told me and I was banned from being there," she added.
"It was so horribly unfair."
A spokesman for the Pride of Britain Awards confirmed the section involving the three women at Woolwich had been withdrawn at the last minute.
He said: "We had legal advice and regretfully took the decision not to include that part for legal reasons."
The office of Mr Grieve confirmed it had issued a reminder saying that, under the Contempt of Court Act 1981, nothing could be broadcast or published which interferes with the administration of justice, including background or allegations relating to the alleged murder in Woolwich.