Jury out to consider verdict in case of Camborne man accused of rape
THE JURY in the case against a Camborne teenager accused of raping a mother in a field while her children played nearby has retired to consider its verdict.
Bradley Trengove, now 20, of Fawdrys Folly, Brea Addit, is accused of raping the woman in early 2012 after convincing her to meet him to discuss a job he knew about.
Trengove, who was 18, at the time, is also accused of sexually assaulting the same woman in June last year.
He went on trial at Truro Crown Court on Monday.
Buy one get one free on main course and specials excludes fillet steaks and beef wellingtons
Must book to qualify and present voucher on arrival 01209860332
Contact: 01209 700617
Valid until: Wednesday, December 11 2013
In a video interview shown to the jury, the woman explained why she had not told anyone about the first alleged attack.
She said: “I was scared to tell [my partner] and embarrassed and felt quite ashamed and embarrassed.
“Mixed feelings about what happened. I think it was easier for me to shut it, blank it out, as though it never happened.”
William Sellick, for the Crown Prosecution Service, said the woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, went to the field near Camborne, which was known to both of them, to meet Trengove who said he wanted to give her the details of a job he knew about.
She arrived on the cold, dark evening with her children but left them nearby and went to talk to the defendant.
The court heard that Trengove proceeded to rape her while she told him to stop and that he only did stop when she said her children were coming.
Mr Sellick said that in June she gave Trengove a lift and when she dropped him off in a field near Camborne where he grabbed her and tried to put her hand on his penis but that she managed to get away.
Mr Sellick said Trengove was arrested by police but denied the allegations in interview, saying he did contact the woman about a job but that there had been no meeting or sexual intercourse and that the incidents were made up.
Closing the case for the defence, Iain Leadbetter asked the jury to believe Trengove’s account, saying that he gave the same denials to the police as he did in court.
He said: “It is not a sophisticated man of the world, little more than a boy, starting his journey in life.”
Mr Leadbetter also questioned why the woman did not call out to her children.
“One call, one loud voice, ‘I need you’, one Christian name shouted: ‘Come here I need your help’, but no, ladies and gentleman; silence,” he said.
“The fact that this is a wicked crime that is he is accused of committing, the fact that anything like that causes any decent person to think in a particular way, to be emotional, I ask you to cast that aside.”
Trengove is accused of one count of rape in early 2012 and one of sexual assault in June 2012.
The trial continues.