Landlord fined for illegal gas work
A Cornish landlord risked the life of his mother and her neighbours by illegally carrying out work on a gas boiler.
Shaun Johnson carried out the work on a home he owned in Liskeard, in May this year while his mother, who lives at the property, was away.
He removed an old gas boiler from the property in Addington North and replaced it with a new one. But by using the existing flue, he risked an immediate risk of explosion or of poisonous carbon monoxide gas escaping into the house.
Johnson then asked a Gas Safe registered engineer to look at the work who classified it as “immediately dangerous” and contacted the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
The HSE found Johnson was not a Gas Safe registered engineer and therefore was neither qualified nor legally entitled to work on gas.
At Truro Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday, Johnson, of Old Road, Liskeard, pleaded guilty to two breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.
He was fined a total of £4,000 and ordered to pay costs of £288.
HSE Inspector Simon Jones, said: “Mr Johnson tried to save money by removing an old gas boiler and replacing it with a new one himself, but his work had the potential to endanger lives – not just of anyone in the house itself, but also in neighbouring properties had there been an explosion.
“Gas work should only be undertaken by Gas Safe registered engineers who are properly trained and accredited to carry out work safely.”