Lanner Parish Council's fight to limit the number of new homes is not over
LANNER parish council has instructed its lawyers to seek permission to appeal against a recent a High Court judgement.
Last month the court rejected the authority's attempt to quash planning permission granted by Cornwall Council to build 25 affordable homes in the village.
The parish council argued its own parish plan had identified a need for only 11 affordable homes in the village, and that Cornwall planners should have given more weight to a document, H20, which limited the number of affordable homes on such small 'exception' sites to 12.
However Judge Anthony Thornton, QC, rejected the appeal on both counts, accepting that the need for social housing was far higher than the parish council's estimate.
Buy one get one free on main course and specials excludes fillet steaks and beef wellingtons
Must book to qualify and present voucher on arrival 01209860332
Contact: 01209 700617
Valid until: Wednesday, December 11 2013
Following the decision the parish council has instructed its legal team to seek leave to appeal against it.
The chairman of Lanner Parish Council's planning committee, councillor Chris Martin, said: "We did not agree with the judgement on the judicial review because it resulted in a situation which affects not just this parish but a large number of parishes across Cornwall."
Councillor Mark Kaczmarek, Cornwall Council Cabinet member for housing, has criticised decision to appeal.
He said: "The parish council had two options to either accept the defeat or go to the court of appeal which is what they have decided to do.
"Lanner has chosen to throw more money away into this and it's a real shame and I am disappointed.
"The 25 homes for local people are very much needed. The majority of people in Lanner aren't bothered about this building. I think it is wrong to expose parishioners to this amount of expenditure when for example the public toilets are closed, this is where the money should be spent."