Man killed in horror smash on Cornwall A30
A man has died after apparently walking into the path of a lorry travelling down the A30 in Cornwall.
Emergency services were called to the busy road at its junction with the A388 at 7.15pm on Saturday night.
A spokesman for Devon and Cornwall Police said it was thought that the man, a 34-year-old who lived locally, had been standing in a lay-by in front of his Renault Laguna car.
However, he then walked into the near-side lane of the eastbound carriageway of the A30 and was in struck by the HGV.
The spokesman said the investigation into the circumstances of the incident were continuing.
He said it was unclear whether the car had broken down or whether anyone was in the car or with the man in the lay-by at the time.
"Unfortunately the 34-year-old man was declared dead at the scene.
"The driver of the HGV was also treated for shock at the scene by ambulance crews."
The A30 eastbound carriageway was closed for seven hours to enable officers to investigate the incident.
Police are now urging any witnesses, or anyone who saw the man in the lay-by before the collision, to come forward.