Man is killed by lorry on the A30
A POLICE investigation is continuing into the death of a man who apparently walked into the path of a lorry travelling down a major road in North Cornwall.
The man who died is thought to be a foreign national who worked in Launceston and had moved to the town with his family, where his teenage daughter was a pupil at the local secondary school.
He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Emergency services were called to a busy stretch of the A30 near Launceston on Saturday night.
Job Vacancy: Plumbing & Heating Engineer RequiredView details
Trident Plumbing and Heating Services Ltd have a vacancy for a full time Plumbing and Heating Engineer.
Terms: Ring 01326 218934, email CV to email@example.com, or post CV to Unit 1, Ponsharden Ind Est, Falmouth, Cornwall, TR11 2SG
Contact: 01326 330626
Valid until: Friday, December 20 2013
A spokesman for Devon and Cornwall Police said it was thought the man, a 34-year-old who lived locally, had been standing in a lay-by in front of his Renault Laguna car.
However, he then walked into the nearside lane of the eastbound carriageway of the A30 and was struck by the heavy goods lorry.
Police said an investigation had begun into the circumstances of the incident, which happened at the junction with the A388 route to Callington at around 7.15pm, and was continuing.
The spokesman said it was unclear as yet whether the man's car had broken down or whether anyone else was with him at the time.
"Unfortunately the 34-year-old man was declared dead at the scene," he said.
"The driver of the HGV was also treated for shock at the scene by an ambulance crew."
The A30 eastbound carriageway was closed for seven hours to enable officers to investigate the incident. The man had not been formally identified as the Cornish Guardian went to press.
Police are now urging any witnesses, or anyone who saw the man in the lay-by before the collision, to come forward.
They are asked to contact the police on 101, quoting log number 0670 of January 19.