McDonalds ruled out of Old Bus Station restaurant complex in Newquay
FAST food chains such as McDonalds will not feature in plans for a new family restaurant complex in Newquay, it has been confirmed.
Developer Monmouth Properties has been tight-lipped about the identity of the three eateries, earmarked for the old bus station site on East Street.
The company's planning agent, Debbie Hume, said it was standard procedure not to reveal details until planning permission had been granted.
But she spoke out last week following concerns from neighbours on Trebarwith Crescent about potential late-night antisocial behaviour, litter and noise.
Free DT333 System Phone with all New NCP Panasonic Business...View details
Make Sure Your Business In Cornwall Chooses The Correct Business Telephone System At The Most Competitive Price.
Approved Panasonic Telecommunications Installer.
Terms: Terms: Please Quote This Genuine Offer When Booking An Appointment With Your Telecommunication Engineer. We Also Offer A Demonstration Of The Proposed System Please Ask For This Free Service
Contact: 01726 213808
Valid until: Monday, March 31 2014
She said: "It's not McDonalds, which I'd class as takeaway, or anything similar. Here we're talking about family-friendly, high quality, nationally-recognised restaurants."
Chicken restaurant Nando's is rumoured to be linked to the site after it confirmed last year that it was looking to set up shop in the resort.
Monmouth submitted a planning application for the old bus station – originally earmarked for a five-storey residential scheme – after purchasing it in May.
This newspaper reported a fortnight ago that residents of Trebarwith Crescent had lodged objections to the scheme on Cornwall Council's website, fearing the restaurants could attract noise, crime and parking chaos.
They were angry about not being consulted over the plans and also expressed concern over proposals to relocate the public toilet block from East Street to the top of their street.
However, there has since been a backlash against the 10 objecters with 11 people writing to the council to back the plans, which have already been widely supported by business and community leaders.
Mrs Hume said: "Many of the concerns raised by the residents stem from their current dissatisfaction with living in this part of Newquay town centre where they cite existing concerns regarding parking, vandalism, refuse, seagulls, other forms of antisocial behaviour."
She said Monmouth had cast its net wide with its consultation and assured neighbours that the restaurants would only operate "within the existing hours of operation of the town centre".
In addition customers would have to park at established town centre car parks, and refuse from the eateries would be "housed internally".