Medical staff warned to check feeding tubes
NHS staff are being warned about the risks of feeding tubes after two patients died when they were inserted into their lungs. An alert from NHS England says doctors and nurses must ensure they carry out a pH test or X-ray to make sure the feeding tubes are placed properly. In the two recent incidents, food was fed into the patients' respiratory tracts by mistake. One was found to have been inserted in the left bronchus. Two similar incidents were also reported in 2010.