Mevagissey landslide family evacuated
A family who escaped unhurt after a landslide brought a tree down onto the kitchen roof of their Mevagissey home have been evacuated.
The drama unfolded early last Monday morning (Jan 27) after several tonnes of earth and asphalt crashed down behind the Smith family’s home on School Hill.
It’s believed heavy rain could have caused part of the privately owned access road on Prospect Terrace to fall into the family’s garden right in front on their kitchen.
A tree also landed on their kitchen roof.
Free DT333 System Phone with all New NCP Panasonic Business...View details
Make Sure Your Business In Cornwall Chooses The Correct Business Telephone System At The Most Competitive Price.
Approved Panasonic Telecommunications Installer.
Terms: Terms: Please Quote This Genuine Offer When Booking An Appointment With Your Telecommunication Engineer. We Also Offer A Demonstration Of The Proposed System Please Ask For This Free Service
Contact: 01726 213808
Valid until: Monday, March 31 2014
Val Smith, 58, last week told this paper that they were awake at the time of the landslide.
Mrs Smith said she surprised at the extent of the debris that had fallen but relieved it wasn’t worse.
The mum was hopeful her family, which includes husband Ray, 56, and son David, 20, could remain in the house, which they only started renting about 18 months ago.
But later last week the Smiths were served with an order by Cornwall Council's private housing sector team to vacate the semi-detached property, because of fears for the family’s safety and people visiting the house.
A council spokesperson said an Emergency Probation Order(EPO) is served “where it is believed occupants/visitors to a property are at risk of harm.”
“In this case it was determined that there was imminent risk following advice from building control as to the instability of the bank of land to the rear of the property, which had already partially collapsed.”
Cornwall Council referred the Smiths to its housing team but they had already found their own alternative accommodation.
The order will remain until the authority’s building control officer is content the remedial works to the private road and the bank have been carried out and the site is no longer considered dangerous, added the spokesperson.