Mum's relief as grilles installed at Perranporth beach mines
THE mother of a schoolgirl who died after falling down a mine on Perranporth beach is relieved that action has finally been taken to protect visitors from similar tragedy.
Perranzabuloe Parish Council has installed steel grilles across three mine openings on the beach.
It follows a 12-month campaign by Nin Clarke, who was horrified after a report revealed more than 20 such hazardous mine workings – 10 cited as most dangerous – on the beach, many posing a similar risk to the one where her daughter, Eleanor, 11, was fatally injured in 2010.
"My job is done," she said. "It has been about making sure this never happens again and that another family never has to suffer the loss of a child like we have done."
Buy one get one free on main course and specials excludes fillet steaks and beef wellingtons
Must book to qualify and present voucher on arrival 01209860332
Contact: 01209 700617
Valid until: Wednesday, December 11 2013
As a result of her campaign, backed by the West Briton, Cornwall Council served an abatement notice on Perranzabuloe Parish Council, which owns Droskyn beach, forcing it to install the grilles.
The parish council spent £7,076 appealing the notice, before agreeing to carry out the work in May, and installed all three grilles across holes posing the most serious risk, costing a total £2,584.
Mrs Clarke said: "It is a relief that the work has finally been done. The new signage is also very important to me as we would never have ventured into the mine if we had known the risks. I am very pleased with the outcome, although it has taken a very long time. I can now rest easy."
She also thanked the West Briton for raising awareness of her campaign and the mining perils, especially to the thousands of unsuspecting visitors who flock to the beach in the summer months.
In a statement, the parish council thanked Cornwall Climbing Club and the Cornwall Cave Rescue community for their "invaluable assistance" in fixing the grilles.
It added: "The parish council has found itself in a Catch 22 situation, receiving advice from mining and rescue experts that the installation of grilles could make escape or rescue difficult or impossible in some cases.
"It is hoped the continuing education will prove successful by way of leaflets and improved information on the website, as well as raising awareness of the dangers associated with the sea, cliffs, and the caves, mine workings and other hazards through the beach officers, RNLI and PCSOs."