New crisis in Royal Cornwall Hospital's obstetrics department
Health chiefs at a Westcountry hospital are battling a second crisis in the obstetrics and gynaecology department in a month.
A consultant from the unit at The Royal Cornwall Hospital, Treliske, Truro (RCHT) has been involved in a "serious incident".
The incident relates to a patient and the consultant, who hospital chiefs refuse to name, is no longer allowed see to further patients.
The latest twist comes after it was revealed last month 1,574 patients were contacted following an investigation into former consultant obstetrician Kenneth Jones, known as Rob, amid concerns over treatment.
Free DT333 System Phone with all New NCP Panasonic Business...View details
Make Sure Your Business In Cornwall Chooses The Correct Business Telephone System At The Most Competitive Price.
Approved Panasonic Telecommunications Installer.
Terms: Terms: Please Quote This Genuine Offer When Booking An Appointment With Your Telecommunication Engineer. We Also Offer A Demonstration Of The Proposed System Please Ask For This Free Service
Contact: 01726 213808
Valid until: Monday, March 31 2014
In a damning report by the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOB) criticised RCHT for "disappointingly" failing to tackle concerns about him which had been mounting for years.
Last night, hospital chiefs also refused to confirm or deny to the Western Morning News if there was a link between Mr Jones and the latest case.
In the most recent case, the unnamed consultant at the centre is still an employee at RCHT and the incident is said to have happened recently.
It has not been revealed if the consultant in question is male or female. In a statement Paul Upton, medical director at RCHT revealed scant details about the matter.
He said: "We have restricted the clinical practice of a consultant in obstetrics and gynaecology.
"This follows a recent serious incident and concerns raised by our staff.
"Patient safety is our top priority and we will not compromise on the quality of care we provide.
"We will make no further comment on this individual consultant and at this time he remains an employee of RCHT."
A spokesman added: "We need to complete the investigation and external review though before we comment further on this."
The unnamed consultant was stopped from face-to-face contact with patients following a meeting on November 29 hosted by NHS South of England.
The meetings had been called to consider issues and actions arising from the review by the RCOG into Mr Jones.
Representatives from RCHT, NHS Cornwall, Kernow Clinical Commissioning Group, the Strategic Health Authority and the Care Quality Commission were all present at the gathering.