New team has big plans for Par's carnival
A CARNIVAL saved by community spirit will benefit from big plans to reinvigorate the popular event.
Fears surfaced last November that Par carnival would not see its 51st year when all but one of the eight-strong committee resigned.
But following a plea for help, residents and community organisations including Par Community Association (PCA) and the Par Ladies' Circle have rallied together to keep it going.
Last Tuesday, a new committee was elected, which included a new chairman, Sarah Caesar, landlady of the Welcome Inn.
Mrs Caesar, who runs the pub with her husband Mike, said by next month's meeting the committee hopes to reveal the line-up for this year's carnival.
She said the carnival is a popular event for locals and holidaymakers alike.
"Our pub and all our customers are 100 per cent behind the carnival and whatever we can do for it we will.
"We have such a lovely community and they have been absolutely fantastic to us and we want to help keep the carnival going."
Cathy Woodman, carnival secretary, who made the initial call for help after she was the only committee member not to hand in her resignation, said she is "overwhelmed" by the support.
She added there are lots of discussions taking place about events, which could take place as part of the carnival celebrations in July.
Par carnival was the brainchild of Russell Julian and his wife Peggy, and first held in 1963 to raise funds to build a new Sunday School alongside Par St Mary's Methodist Church.
The Julians had always said that after 50 years they would finish their involvement with the carnival.
However, Mr Julian died in 2012 and his widow saw the carnival through to its 50th anniversary last year before she stepped down last November.
The new committee will now have to raise the funds to run the carnival, which costs approximately £2,000 to organise.
Another meeting of the committee will be held at the Welcome Inn next month.