'Noisy builders are a burden to Polruan Holiday Park'
A HOLIDAY park owner has complained about the use of an adjacent field by local builders, which he says is having a major impact on his business.
Kevin Cox, 53, said the constant noise coming from the site is driving holidaymakers away from Polruan Holiday Park.
The land in question, owned by the National Trust, is currently being rented by local builders who use it as a transfer and tipping station.
Mr Cox said: "We have constant noise of dumper trucks going back and forth, diggers in action and lorries unloading and reloading. It's been a nuisance for the past three years and has affected our business massively."
Buy one get one free on main course and specials excludes fillet steaks and beef wellingtons
Must book to qualify and present voucher on arrival 01209860332
Contact: 01209 700617
Valid until: Wednesday, December 11 2013
The noise has even forced some holidaymakers to leave the park early, he added.
"I've even had people shouting at me in the reception complaining about the noise," Mr Cox explained.
"We advertise this as a place where people can come for peace and quiet but at the moment it's far from that. I've had people leaving early and I've been giving refunds."
Mr Cox has complained to both the National Trust and Cornwall Council but said neither has been much help.
"I've had numerous conversations with the National Trust but they're not really responding to letters," he said.
"As for the council, we complained in April and they opened a case regarding the issue, however, they informed us this week they can take no action and have therefore closed the case."
Cornwall Council said in a statement they were unable to take action.
"Following the complaint to the council's planning enforcement team, officers found sufficient evidence to conclude that the planning use had been operating for more than ten years and was therefore immune from planning enforcement action," the statement read.
Mr Cox has been further infuriated by the council's dealing of the matter.
"They've been no help whatsoever; they don't call back or answer e-mails," he said. "We waited six months for a response, obviously during which was the main holiday season."
Mr Cox and his wife Trudy took over the park in 2007, and their understanding at the time was that the field was just for machinery storage.
"We have worked extremely hard to bring this park up to a five-star standard and we have also been awarded the David Bellamy gold award," he said. "We receive no complaints from our visitors apart from this continuous disruption from the adjacent field."
Despite this week's setback from the council, Mr Cox said he will be taking up the matter with the British Holiday and Home Parks Association (BHHPA) who support businesses affected by disruption.