Penzance vet's warning after lurcher's adder bite
A VET has issued a warning to dog-owners after treating a lurcher for an adder bite last week.
The 12-month-old dog was taken into Mounts Bay Vets at Long Rock by her owner after suffering a suspected adder bite on the Towans at Gwithian last Wednesday.
And Luke Stevens, from the vets, said the owner had done the right thing.
“Although she did not see the adder herself, she had her suspicions and brought the animal into us within an hour,” he said.
Buy one get one free on main course and specials excludes fillet steaks and beef Wellington
Must book to qualify 01209 860332 and present voucher on arrival
Mon- Thur 6-9pm
Contact: 01209 700617
Valid until: Saturday, December 21 2013
“The dog had enormous swelling on her muzzle and halfway down her neck.
“We were able to give her intravenous fluids and, more importantly, anti-venom treatment and within two or three hours, the swelling had reduced by half.”
The dog was kept at the vets overnight before being reunited with her owner – still with some swelling but “much, much happier”.
Mr Stevens said the prompt action by the owner in bringing the dog to the vets pretty quickly was key to a happy outcome.
“She did exactly the right thing,” he added.
“If you spend more than four to six hours wondering whether to take the dog to the vet or not, then the anti-venom will not take proper effect and it could be a much more serious situation.”
Mr Stevens said that this year he had treated less dogs for adder bites than normal – probably because of the warm summer weather which keeps adders alert and quick enough to move out the way of dogs and people.
He also said it was rare for adders to still be seen so late in the year, something he put down to the mild autumnal weather of recent weeks.
“They’re usually underground by now but I’ve heard of another adder being seen out near Sennen as well as the one at Gwithian.”