Relief after fire fears put out at historic Pandora Inn
Staff at a famous 13th-century waterside pub in Cornwall which was gutted by fire almost two years ago called in firefighters yesterday over a suspected chimney fire.
The much-loved Pandora Inn at Restronguet, near Falmouth, was devastated by a blaze on March 24, 2011, which engulfed the thatch and destroyed the first floor of the building in minutes.
It is thought the fire started in one of the historic building's chimneys. The pub only re-opened in March last year after a painstaking restoration, including extensive fire-proofing measures.
Concerned staff called in firefighters at about 11am yesterday after hearing a crack and seeing the fire in the grate roar. The fire was out by the time crews from Falmouth arrived, but a covering jet was put on standby as officers used a pump and chimney rods to check the chimney flue.
Free DT333 System Phone with all New NCP Panasonic Business...View details
Make Sure Your Business In Cornwall Chooses The Correct Business Telephone System At The Most Competitive Price.
Approved Panasonic Telecommunications Installer.
Terms: Terms: Please Quote This Genuine Offer When Booking An Appointment With Your Telecommunication Engineer. We Also Offer A Demonstration Of The Proposed System Please Ask For This Free Service
Contact: 01726 213808
Valid until: Monday, March 31 2014
Jeremy Mitchell, from St Austell Brewery which owns the inn, said: "The fires were lit at 9.30am as normal but a member of staff heard something crack, which we think is the chimney pot, and then the fire started to draw very quickly.
"She called out the fire brigade to be extra safe but when they got there the fire was out. The fires won't be lit again until the pot is fixed."