Review of plans for accident blackspot near Newquay
HIGHWAYS chiefs planning improvements to a notorious danger spot near Newquay say they will "review the scheme further" in light of a rigorous community campaign.
Communities in St Newlyn East and Cubert have been fighting for decades to convince Cornwall Council to install traffic lights or a roundabout at Cubert crossroads.
Council contractors Cormac plan to slow down cars by removing the slip roads on both sides of the crossroads – but locals feel this will not improve the situation.
Last month more than 30 people turned out to grill senior engineer Peter Tatlow at a site meeting, held on the grass verge at the A3075 crossroads.
FREE Home staging included with your 1% Commission!View details
1% Commission FREE Home staging advice http://www.kerbappealz.co.uk
Terms: Home staging advice given on instruction to sell your property
Contact: 01736 332076
Valid until: Saturday, December 14 2013
Residents at the meeting, which was also attended by Bert Biscoe, the council's transport portfolio holder, warned that Cornwall Council would have "blood on its hands" if it failed to improve safety at the crossroads.
Now, Adrian Roberts, project manager for Cormac, has written to Cubert Parish Council stating that in light of its concerns, it would review the scheme further.
The letter said: "The safety scheme presents a six-metre gap – standard width for two lanes of traffic – on the approach from Cubert, and removes the large area of hatching that is effectively a dead area in the existing junction mouth.
"This has been done to maintain or improve existing capacity.
"In view of the parish council's concerns, however, we will review the scheme further to see if there are any other minor adjustments we could incorporate into the design at this stage to maximise the capacity from this approach."
Cubert Parish Council chairman Alan Percy said it was "disappointing" that a roundabout would not be considered, but that it was "grateful" that its concerns had been listened to.
He said: "It looks like they're going to go ahead with it, but there is a possibility they will do an internal review to look for some minor alterations.
"The parish councils have been asking for this for around about 30 years and the parish councils gave their response to the consultation last year.
"In the 15 years I have been on the parish council I have not heard of a portfolio holder coming out on a site visit. We are very pleased that we have had the attention of Bert Biscoe, and we are told that he is likely to come and see us at our next parish council meeting.
"We are now grateful that our concerns have been more heavily looked at."
There have been at least seven accidents at the junction since 2008, including one fatality. Three of the accidents were the result of vehicles emerging from the Cubert side into the path of vehicles travelling from Goonhavern.
Residents claim the situation leads to huge frustration and risk-taking – reinforced at last month's site meeting when irate motorists were clearly heard swearing and cursing as they queued at the junction.