Newquay fire service issue chimney blaze warning
A SPELL of chimney fires in Newquay has sparked a safety warning from the resort's fire service.
Just yesterday crews were scrambled to a property on Edgcumbe Avenue after a birds nest wedged inside a chimney breast caught fire around 1pm.
It is one of dozens of chimney fires which Newquay crews have been called to in recent months.
Watch manager Shaun Taylor, who attended the incident, said: "It was a wood burning stove. It was a fairly straight forward job, we had to remove part of the flue lining.
"Although the gentlemen had swept the chimney, there was still left over bits of a birds nest which was what caught."
One appliance from Newquay was mobilised to this incident and crews extinguished a small fire in the chimney breast using the chimney rods and small tools. The thermal image camera was also used to inspect the area.
Mr Taylor said the fire service recommends every chimney is swept out twice a year.
"Once prior to use in the winter and then again a month or so after finishing using it," he said.
"Also, if you have recently moved into a property make sure you have it swept out. It is important to have a carbon monoxide detector too.
"If anyone believes they have a fire in the chimney, please do not hesitate to call 999, we will come out and put it out for you."
Station manager, Nathaniel Hooton, said: "It is about making sure your chimney is swept and maintained, making sure you are using the correct fuel and having a fire guard in place."
Latest figures show that there are around 6,000 chimney fires a year in England. Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service attended 216 incidents between 2011 and 2012, where most of these incidents could have been prevented.
For more safety advice on how to prevent chimney fires visit http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=7278