St Keverne people's anger over Masked Ball music festival chaos
PEOPLE living around St Keverne voiced their anger last night at the chaos of the Masked Ball music festival, held at the end of October.
Around 3,000 people descended on Rosuick Farm for the Hallowe’en-themed event - but high winds and heavy rain caused numerous problems.
Despite precautions from the organisers, the parking fields became impassible with mud, the lanes leading to the site were blocked by cars.
A car set on fire after it overheated, two people were taken to hospital and a camel escaped after flares were set off at the farm, over the weekend of October 26 and 27.
Free DT333 System Phone with all New NCP Panasonic Business...View details
Make Sure Your Business In Cornwall Chooses The Correct Business Telephone System At The Most Competitive Price.
Approved Panasonic Telecommunications Installer.
Terms: Terms: Please Quote This Genuine Offer When Booking An Appointment With Your Telecommunication Engineer. We Also Offer A Demonstration Of The Proposed System. Please Ask For This Free Service
Contact: 01726 213808
Valid until: Monday, March 31 2014
The organisers were forced to turn hundreds of people away when the cars blocked access for the emergency services.
Many local people also complained of loud music over the weekend and people tramping over fields to reach the site, after they had abandoned their cars on the roads around the area.
Licensing officers at Cornwall Council are to review the various complaints from people about the festival, which is now in its third year.
Concerns were raised by several members of the public at a meeting of St Keverne Parish Council, held last night.
Cornwall Councillor Walter Sanger said he would speak to the licensing department at county hall about how the festival was planning.
“It did create a lot of concerns and was heard all over the place,” he said.
“There was a vast amount of traffic blocking up the roads.”
Although people living nearby had been offered complimentary tickets, the council was told there had been little notice of the event.
“The first we heard about it was in the West Briton two days before,” said one farmer, who lives next to the site.
He added that his family were scared to go out of the house for fear of people roaming the fields. Revellers had got into his farm yard at 5am, having wondered from the site.
“The site is just not in a position to get people in and out of. There are narrow lanes. It’s just the wrong place,” he said.
In a report for the council, Constable Julia Berry said the police had received several complaints regarding the ball.
She added that all the information had now been passed to Cornwall Council’s licensing department.
Parish councillor David Lambrick said: “We didn’t know how many tickets were sold. The weather wasn’t good, but then in October it never will be.
“We will try our best to see it doesn’t happen again in that situation.”
The organisers of the ball had paid for police officers to be at the event. They also had a paramedic to treat minor injuries.
Speaking previsouly to the West Briton, festival director Kelvin Batt said extra clippings and straw had been put down to deal with rain from the storm, due to strike the south coast of England that weekend.
He said that, despite the problems, the event had been judged a success by the majority of festival-goers.
He added that the camel was recaptured safe and well shortly after it escaped.