VIDEO: Fire at Great Trethew Manor Hotel near Liskeard was accidental, investigation reveals
The fire which destroyed a three storey country manor near Liskeard started accidentally, fire investigators have confirmed.
At its height, the fire at Great Trethew Manor Country House, Horningtops, was tackled by almost 50 firefighters from across half of Cornwall, as well as the Devon and Somerset fire service.
Following an investigation which took place yesterday, Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service reported the cause to be accidental.
A spokesman from the fire service said no other details about how the fire started are available at this time.
Fantastic offer at Swanson Ford, Newton Abbot. 3 Years FREE Servicing and 5 Years Warranty available on your BRAND NEW FORD FIESTA with the AWARD WINNING ECOBOOST ENGINE!!!
Terms: Limited stock available. Only whilst stock lasts
Contact: 01626 240583
Valid until: Tuesday, December 24 2013
The popular hotel was fully booked but at the time of the fire, which started shortly before 12.30pm on Tuesday afternoon.
Fortunately most of the guests were out of building and there were no reported casualties.
Speaking at the scene on Tuesday, fire incident commander Martin Wingrove said the blaze had destroyed the building.
"It's just four walls," he said.
"The roof, first and second floor have collapsed to the ground floor and are just smouldering."
Plumes of smoke were said to be seen billowing from the building up to 100ft high, with crews tackling the fire using high pressure hoses through open doors and windows.
The owners, who are said to be devastated, took to the social networking site Facebook to thank family, friends, colleagues and guests for the support they had received.
“Thank you for all your kind messages," they wrote.
"Trethew Manor has gone and everything has been lost. But everybody is well and no one was hurt.”