VIDEO: Huge fire at popular St Ives shopping destination
Firefighters tackled a huge blaze at a vintage tea room in a popular shopping destination close to the St Ives waterfront after a fire broke out around 7.30pm yesterday evening.
Police officers set up a perimeter to keep bystanders back and nearby houses lost electricity after the fire began in a small shopping area on Wharf Road.
The fire is believed to have started in an electrical unit, below the Vintage Store and Coffee Shop and a residential area.
Seven fire appliances were sent to the scene but police officers reported that the fire was under control.
Devon and Cornwall Police Inspector Alastair Fry said there were up to five officers at the scene.
He said: “We believe that there was a fairly substantial fire at some point this evening.
“We received the call at 7.45pm.”
It is believed the cause of the fire was electrical. There have been no injuries reported.
People from The Vintage Store and Coffee shop, Wafflelicious and the next door Rum and Crab Shack were evacuated.
Jazzy, a member of staff at the nearby Lifeboat Inn, said: "We saw three fire engines pass by and a few ambulance cars.
"I believe a few businesses have for the night because of the fire."
Fire crews from St Ives, Camborne, Falmouth and the water carrier engine from Helston were all at the scene.
At around 9pm one fire officer said they were in the process of scaling back operations.