VIDEO: Shocking images of Falmouth bus smash
THESE images capture the shocking moment a Falmouth man released a handbrake sending a double-decker bus smashing into parked vehicles.
Luke Anthony Pentecost, 20, of Meadow Road, Falmouth, pleaded guilty at Truro Crown Court on Friday, to criminal damage of the bus and two counts of criminal damage to a Hyundai Santa Fe car and a boat on July 21 last year.
CCTV footage shows three men entering the Ponsharden park-and-float yard in Falmouth before Pentecost wanders over to the Western Greyhound bus, sticks his hand through the window and releases the handbrake. He then walks casually away as the bus rolls backwards, smashing into a boat and parked car, causing damage estimated at £13,000.
Two men are then seen walking away, with the third running after them.
Buy one get one free on main course and specials excludes fillet steaks and beef Wellington
Must book to qualify 01209 860332 and present voucher on arrival
Mon- Thur 6-9pm
Contact: 01209 700617
Valid until: Saturday, December 21 2013
No one was on the bus.
Falmouth police launched an investigation, releasing CCTV images from a camera overlooking the Ponsharden car park. Further CCTV images show the three men walking away, fleeing through the streets of Penryn.
Officers said the bus had "potential to cause serious injury".
Inspector Mark Richards, who was in charge of Falmouth police at the time, said: "We had a huge response after releasing CCTV images to the press and public and through diligent police work, were able to track down the suspect.
"The situation could have easily been a lot worse if anyone was injured."
Western Greyhound runs a regular bus service from the park-and-float yard to Falmouth's High Street and Prince of Wales Pier.
Its managing director, Mark Howarth, said: "This was a most irresponsible act which could have caused injury or death. I am delighted that the offender has been arrested and convicted."
Pentecost will be sentenced at a later date.