Violent sex attacker still works for the council
A SOCIAL care manager who carried out violent sex attacks could still be on the payroll of Cornwall Council, the West Briton can reveal.
Richard Mason, 47, of Daniel Gardens in Truro, pleaded guilty to five charges of horrific attacks against two women and three counts of unlawful wounding.
The West Briton understands Mason is still employed by Cornwall Council as a commissioning officer in the adult social care department.
Cornwall Council has repeatedly failed to answer questions relating to Mason and his employment in social care. The authority said he was suspended following his arrest but no action has yet been taken to dismiss him.
Free DT333 System Phone with all New NCP Panasonic Business...View details
Make Sure Your Business In Cornwall Chooses The Correct Business Telephone System At The Most Competitive Price.
Approved Panasonic Telecommunications Installer.
Terms: Terms: Please Quote This Genuine Offer When Booking An Appointment With Your Telecommunication Engineer. We Also Offer A Demonstration Of The Proposed System. Please Ask For This Free Service
Contact: 01726 213808
Valid until: Monday, March 31 2014
It said in a statement: "Disciplinary action has been put on hold pending the conclusion of the court proceedings."
Mason is expected to be sentenced on December 7 for the vile attacks which took place between March 2008 and May of this year.
The council did not respond to questions from this newspaper regarding whether it was still paying Mason.
It refused to say whether Mason had previously been disciplined or whether any complaints had been made against him by staff.
The West Briton decided details of Mason's offences were too abhorrent to report.
Documents obtained by the West Briton show he was writing reports for the council in October of last year on transport for young people and for hospital trips.
Since Mason's guilty pleas the West Briton has attempted to gain clarification from Cornwall Council on the amount of contact he had with vulnerable people. The council has failed to provide any response.
A spokesman said: "The council will not be making any further comment pending the outcome of that hearing (the sentencing) and any subsequent disciplinary action."