Vulnerable walker robbed of his £30 mobile in Camborne
A VULNERABLE young man was robbed of his £30 mobile phone while walking along a street in Camborne, a court has heard.
Judge John Neligan made it clear the public must be protected from street robbers like Sean O’Shea and Alex Burgoyne when he sentenced them at Truro Crown Court to nine months in custody on Friday.
Alistair Verheijen, for the CPS, said O’Shea, 25, of Radnor, Redruth and Burgoyne, formerly of Falmouth but who told the court he was homeless, stole the Nokia C3-000 from Warren Gill on April 20.
He said the victim was a “rather vulnerable individual” who had been shaken by the theft and only recently felt able to go out for walks on his own again.
Mr Verheijen said that same night the pair made off without paying a £15 taxi fare.
O’Shea has 15 previous convictions dating back to 2005.
Burgoyne, who turned 20 on the day of the hearing, had previous convictions including several for being in possession of a knife.
Mark Charnley, defending O’Shea, said his client had drunk so much he had “little or no recollection” of events on the night.
Burgoyne’s solicitor Paul Gallagher said the same about his client, calling the offence “drunken stupidity”.
Judge Neligan asked how defendants who claimed to have no money could afford to get this drunk.
He added: “Street robbery makes the public afraid to walk alone on the streets and the public require protection so there must be an element of deterrent in the punishment.
“You two claim to have been so drunk you can’t remember what happened. I look at that very cynically.”
O’Shea and Burgoyne, who previously pleaded guilty to the charges, were also sentenced to one month in custody to run concurrently for making off without payment for a service.