White substance linked to dog death cleared up from West Cornwall beaches
THE white substance washed up on west Penwith beaches, believed to have have been responsible for the death of a dog, was cleared up yesterday.
Found to be a “non-toxic to humans, degraded, edible oil or fat” by Public Health England, it first appeared on Sunday.
Cornwall Council said contractor Cory Environmental was tasked with removing the material.
A spokeswoman for the council said it has now been removed: "As far as I'm aware it was cleared up yesterday.
Job Vacancy: Plumbing & Heating Engineer RequiredView details
Trident Plumbing and Heating Services Ltd have a vacancy for a full time Plumbing and Heating Engineer.
Terms: Ring 01326 218934, email CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, or post CV to Unit 1, Ponsharden Ind Est, Falmouth, Cornwall, TR11 2SG
Contact: 01326 330626
Valid until: Friday, December 20 2013
"They cleaned up all beaches that were reported to be affected."
Following the discoveries MP for St Ives Andrew George has said "culprit must be found".
He said: “It is important that the culprit responsible for this incident is tracked down and prosecuted.
Mr George added he has raised the issue with the relevant authorities, and will "press to ensure that progress is made in identifying the source".
The substance was spotted throughout the week on shores around Praa Sands, Long Rock, Penzance and Porthcurno.
Earlier this week a Penzance vet said a number of dogs were taken ill after coming in contact with the substance.
On Tuesday a dog passed away - the vet believed the cause of death to be the deposits.