Year-old baby rescued from burning house
Two brave policemen crawled through a smoke-filled room to rescue a 12-month-old baby boy from a house fire.
The mother of the baby was heard screaming for help after a candle started the blaze at the terraced property, in Exeter, on Monday night.
Emergency services arrived on the scene around 11.20pm as large volumes of smoke were seen coming from the house on Elmside.
The baby was taken to the Royal Devon and Exeter hospital and treated for smoke inhalation.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Ben Matthews, a university student living in a nearby house, said there was "a lot of commotion" on the street.
He said: "There was a lot of activity. I thought 'What on Earth is happening?' Smoke had been coming out of the house for a long time before the fire service arrived."
Crews extinguished the fire using breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet.
A police spokesman said: "When officers arrived, the mother was screaming for assistance. They went into the property to find the one-year-old baby in a smoke-filled room."
The spokesman said the baby was in "good condition" yesterday. The cause of the fire was said to be accidental.