Fire chief delivers carbon monoxide warning
THE FIRE service has delivered a reminder about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning after attending a gas leak at a holiday cottage near Morvah last night.
Five people were treated by ambulance crews at the cottage after displaying symptoms of the deadly poisoning which kills people each year in Britain.
The occupants had called the emergency services shortly after 10pm after a detector picked up a higher than usual reading.
Penzance Station Manager Mark Salter said he believed the problem was caused by a faulty woodburner.
Are you nervous about public speaking or presenting ? I can help you become both confident and competent. For June I'm offering 60 minute coaching sessions for just £45 - Trevor Lee 07785 390717
Terms: Offer available to private individuals and businesses throughout June 2013.
Contact: 01326 330668
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
He said: "We go to an increasing number of carbon monoxide cases at this time of year.
"We would encourage residents to buy a carbon monoxide detector and to ensure that gas appliances and chimneys are regularly inspected and monitored."
Carbon monoxide symptoms include headaches or dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, tiredness, chest or stomach pain, erratic behaviour or visual problems.
An ambulance spokesman confirmed it attended an incident in the Pendeen area and treated a number of patients at the scene.