'I did nothing' says mother of alleged victim in Gary Redman sex assault trial
THE MOTHER of one of the boys who claims he was sexually abused by a former Newquay town councillor has told a court of her shock when he told her about the allegations.
The woman, who cannot be named for legal reasons, said she did not know what to do when he was aged 13 or 14 and she found out that he was being abused by Gary Redman – and so she did nothing.
Redman, who denies the allegations, is accused of 15 counts of indecently assaulting two boys between 1995 and 2004, starting when one of the alleged victims was just seven.
Giving evidence on the third day of the 56-year-old’s trial, the mother of that witness said she had received a phone call from the mother of one of her son’s friends.
Buy one get one free on main course and specials excludes fillet steaks and beef wellingtons
Must book to qualify and present voucher on arrival 01209860332
Contact: 01209 700617
Valid until: Wednesday, December 11 2013
“She said that he was very upset and that he confided in her that he was being abused by Gary Redman,” she said.
“When [he] came home, I asked him if it was true or false and he said it was true … I was shocked obviously … When he came home there was no bruises on him, I would have thought sexually abused was what she was talking about.”
But the mother said she did not know what to do about the allegations so she watched her son closely for a few days but did not bring the subject up again.
“I was shaken up about it and I just left it because I did not really know what to do. I just left it at that; I did not really know what to do,” she said.
“I did not want to upset him anymore.”
The court previously heard that Redman regularly paid the two young boys sums of £5 and £10 so that he could sexually abuse them.
Phillip Lee, for the prosecution, said the abuse started when the first boy was 7 and Redman took him to his workshop, where he ran a garden machinery business, where he rubbed the boy's body, performed a sex act on the boy and gave him £5.
Mr Lee said the second alleged victim came into contact with Redman in 1999 when he was aged 12 and that they met at Redman's workshop where Redman performed a sex act on the boy and gave him £10.
Redman was arrested and interviewed by police in May and July last year.
He told police that he did have the garden machinery business from 1995 to 2005 but denied any indecent assault on either boy.
Mr Lee said: "He stated that the allegations were absolute nonsense and he had no idea why the allegations were being made against him."
Redman is accused of ten counts of indecently assaulting one boy.
He faces a further two charges of indecency with a child in relation to that boy and three of indecent assault on another boy.
The trial, which is expected to finish on Friday, continues.