Fire in her flat leaves tenant with no home
THE victim of a flat fire has been left homeless as a result of her ordeal.
Four fire engines were called to East Street in Newquay after the fire broke out in the kitchen of Laura Barrasin's flat at about 1am last Wednesday.
All the residents in the block of flats, of whom there are about 19, had to flee in the dead of night after hearing the smoke alarm sound.
"The most important thing is that no one was hurt, but Miss Barrasin was very upset," said her landlord Charlie Nichol, who owns all the flats.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
Some tenants had to make alternative arrangements for accommodation on the night because of the smoke and potentially hazardous fumes, but Miss Barrasin would be out for much longer.
Mr Nichol said it could take six to eight weeks before the damage was repaired.
"She moved into her nice little flat and made a nice job of decorating it; you can imagine how upset she is," he said. "The fire itself was confined to the kitchen but the smoke damage had the worst effect. Everything in there's black."
He praised the firefighters who dealt with the incident.
"I must say the fire brigade did a tremendous job," he said. "Their response time was brilliant; they certainly weren't hanging around.
"They put their lives at risk for our safety and I don't think they get enough praise."
Andy Cole, who owns Andy's Café below the flats, said the smoke alarm also went off in his restaurant.
"It was in the middle of the night and mayhem ensued," he said.
"There were four fire engines here and all tenants had to be evacuated so it was quite a major event."
Police attended but said there was no evidence to suggest the fire had been started deliberately.
The fire service is carrying out an investigation.