Still rowing strong – the gig built before the Battle of Waterloo
A relic of a bygone age which has lately become a major sport in the Westcountry has celebrated its 200th birthday.
The Newquay was built in 1812 at a time when pilot gigs were a common sight in the ports around the region, where they would vye for business guiding large vessels into the harbour.
Now restored to her former glory and owned by Newquay Rowing Club, the 30ft boat has marked her bicentennial with a reunion – of sorts.
The centuries-old gig was built by William Peters of St Mawes, where the town's modern day gig club have a vessel named after him, in his honour.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
For a one-off event, the 200-year-old Newquay and the modern day namesake of her builder were taken for a spin around the seas off the North Cornwall resort.
Built in the heyday of the pilot gig, the Newquay's maiden voyage was three years before the Battle of Waterloo, when George III was King.
In the 1840s, it was estimated that there were 400 gigs in Cornwall. But by the turn of the century they were consigned to history, with one used for the last time on the Cornish mainland, in St Ives, in the 1920s, and on the Scillies in 1938.
In the 1950s, Newquay had the only pilot gigs on the circuit and the sport was little more than a curiosity.
However, thanks to the efforts of small group of enthusiasts, gig racing has become one of the fastest growing sports in the Westcountry with more than 100 teams of men and women now competing in the annual World Pilot Gig Championships, held on the Isles of Scilly.