Full steam ahead for Newquay restaurant hub plans
BUILDING work on a family restaurant hub in Newquay town centre is expected to begin soon after plans were given the green light.
Monmouth Properties was granted full planning permission last week to construct three eateries at the old bus station site on East Street by next summer.
The company's planning agent Debbie Hume said the team is "delighted" Cornwall Council's planning chiefs found no reason to hold up the development.
The identity of the chains remains a secret, although Mrs Hume said an announcement would be made shortly.
Job Vacancy: Plumbing & Heating Engineer RequiredView details
Trident Plumbing and Heating Services Ltd have a vacancy for a full time Plumbing and Heating Engineer.
Terms: Ring 01326 218934, email CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, or post CV to Unit 1, Ponsharden Ind Est, Falmouth, Cornwall, TR11 2SG
Contact: 01326 330626
Valid until: Friday, December 20 2013
She told the Cornish Guardian: "We are delighted that the application has been approved and are very excited to move forward. This will be an attractive development to replace this derelict site, enhancing this part of Newquay. It is just what the town centre needs to underpin its family-friendly offer."
Monmouth bought the land in May this year after outbidding rivals Newquay Town Council, which intended to consult residents on what they would like to see built on the eyesore site.
It is thought the development will create around 40 jobs, as well as provide a public toilet block that will be run by the town council.
The plans have been welcomed by business and community leaders – although concerns about antisocial behaviour, litter and noise were raised by residents of neighbouring Trebarwith Crescent.
Monmouth's planning application drew 12 objections on Cornwall Council's website, although 11 people also wrote to the authority in support of the proposals.
Mrs Hume assured neighbours that the restaurants would only operate "within the existing hours of operation of the town centre". In addition customers would have to park at established town centre car parks, and refuse would be "housed internally", she said.
Fast food chains, including McDonald's, would not feature in the restaurant hub, it has been confirmed.